Listen to the podcast!
Giving Thanks in a Dark Time; Or, Steve Ditko’s Impending Death
For this year’s Thanksgiving show, there are seven seats at the table, making this the most populated episode in the podcast’s history. Andy K. and Derek are joined by their fellow cohosts Gwen, Andy W., Gene, Sean, and Edward to discuss what they are thankful for in the world of comics. (Shea and Paul couldn’t join in on the fun, unfortunately, but they were there in spirit.) Among the various things they’re thankful for are
- the final volume in The Complete Peanuts series,
- the increased number of translations of French-language comics,
- Barry Deutsch and his Hereville books,
- small local comics conferences,
- the new Doctor Strange Omnibus,
- indispensable publishers such as Fantagraphics and First Second,
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (again),
- parents who are embracing comics in libraries,
- Drawn and Quarterly’s manga output,
- other Canadian publishers and comics creators,
- socially aware artists, like Sophie Goldstein and Jennifer Jordan,
- and our Patreon supporters who have helped make 2016 a successful year!
So pull up a chair, strap on the bib, pass the gravy, and settle into the warm, cozy goodness of The Seven People with PhDs Talking about Comics. And remember: the tryptophan will kick in later.
Give thanks to some of the books discussed in this episode: