Listen to the podcast!
This week the Two Guys with PhDs focus a critical spotlight on the spring releases coming out from Alternative Comics and the other small presses that are part of its distribution co-operative, Floating World Comics, Hic + Hoc Productions, Study Group Comics, and Press Gang. This is a jam-packed episode and longer than usual, a discussion that covers eighteen different titles among the five indie presses. Before they jump directly into the comics, though, Derek has a brief conversation with Marc Arsenault, the publisher of Alternative Comics and one of the ringleaders of the co-operative. He asks Marc about the origins of the press, its relaunch in 2012, its distribution agreement with the other indie publishers, and what readers could anticipate coming out of Alternative Comics in the months to come. After that introductory interview, Andy W. and Derek begin discussing the individual titles some out this spring, and organizing their conversation by publisher. These books include:
- Incomplete Works, by Dylan Horrocks
- The Sequential Artists Workshop Guide to Creating Professional Comic Strips, by Tom Hart
- From Now On, by Malachi Ward
- Compulsive Comics, by Eric Haven
- Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers, edited by Hazel Newlevant
- Ohio Is for Sale, by Jon Allen
- Lou, by Melissa Mendes
Floating World Comics
- Test Tube, by Carlos Gonzales
- Scab County, by Carlos Gonzalez
- Winners, by Anna Ehrlemark
- Jonny Negron Selected Works 2012-2013, by Jonny Negron
- Bartkira: Nuclear Edition, edited by James Harvey and Alex Jaffe
- Video Tonfa, by Tim Goodyear
Hic + Hoc Productions
Study Group Comics
- Sun Bakery #1, Corey Lewis
As Andy and Derek mention in the show, this has been a spotlight episode they’ve been wanting to do for some time. The guys are truly excited to talk about the new releases coming out from Alternative Comics (and its co-op partners)…and not just this publisher’s name is an inversion of the podcast title.
Get your copies of the books discuss on this episode:
Never miss an episode of The Comics Alternative. Subscribe today!